Running and walking are probably the oldest forms of calisthenics exercise known to man. It burns more calories per minute than almost any other form of cardio exercise. It is one of the best all-around exercises you can perform. So if you want six pack abs, or to get rid of cellulite around your legs, or the flab underneath your upper arms – running or walking should be at the top of your list.
Neither one is better than the other, however they do have some minor differences:
- Running burns calories in less time than if you’re walking, but if you are not in a rush you can walk a bit longer instead and burn the same amount of calories.
- Running impacts the knees greater than walking
- Walking is a low-impact exercise for your knees
- Walking is just as beneficial to your health as running
It’s good to wear shoes made for running or walking as they are designed to absorb impact and help keep your knees in good shape. You can increase the intensity of walking by or running by increasing your speed slightly.
Benefits of Walking and Running:
- Burns calories and fights obesity
- Lowers risk of health ailments such as heart disease and diabetes
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Relieves stress and anxiety and used as a treatment for depression
- Improves stamina and energy
- Improves physical strength and endurance
- Maintains bone density and muscles mass
- Improves confidence because you realize you’re doing something beneficial for your body
- Helps you stay focused and determined
It is said that aerobics can make you look years younger and helps slow down the aging process since it maintains your muscle mass and bone density; it also releases good hormones into your body such as growth hormones and endorphins.
Running and walking are excellent aerobic exercises because they generally improve anyone’s health and fitness. Either is better exercise than sitting around doing nothing. Add in a balanced diet and you’ll get results really quick. The Diet Solution can help you out as it has for so many people. Check them out here!
Don’t be discouraged to stay consistent when you start a running or walking exercise regime. Not everyday is a beautiful day to go outside and run or walk. It’s worth the effort to gain the health benefits so stay motivated and be strong!